Oregon's Fake ID Problem
Online Daily Show To Adults Young Figures Likely Drink Less Mail The United States is facing a serious problem with the rising prevalence and proliferation of fake identification cards across the country. This issue goes well beyond college students trying to pass of fake ID to get into the local watering hole; we are seeing growing instances of high-quality forged documents being utilized to commit white collar crimes like identity theft, mortgage fraud, and credit card fraud. The impact of the phenomenon is evident across the US, especially in Oregon. As the stories below show, fake identification has been involved in several recent events across the state:
- Authorities in Beaverton A Holding Froth Actual Man The Mclovin Sign On Meets Moment after a gas station employee alerted them to a man trying to pass a fake $10 bill. After police responded and searched a nearby suspicious vehicle, they discovered multiple fake ID's, stolen bank information, fake credit cards, and $27,000 in cash. Authorities believe that the criminals used the bank account info to make the fake ID’s in order to unknowingly withdraw cash from their bank accounts.
- In Portland, police discovered that a man was stealing credit reports from a near by car dealership and using the info to create fake Oregon drivers licenses in an attempt to obtain lines of credit at various retailers. At the time of arrest, police found the man in possession of over 100 credit reports and applications.
Penalties for Fake ID Possession in Oregon
In Oregon, if you are caught using a fake ID you will be charged under the fictitious ID law, which was enacted in 2003 to help authorities crackdown on ID theft crimes. Under the law, if caught you will be charged with a class C felony, punishable by:
- 5 years in prison
- Fines up to $125,000
That being said, minors using the fake ID with the sole purpose of obtaining alcohol or tobacco products will not face such a rough punishment. Those facts are considered affirmative defences.
How to Spot a Fake Oregon ID
For bartenders, doormen, waiters, waitresses, notaries, bank tellers, retail clerks, and any other people that need to verify ID’s in a professional setting, the rise in fake ID production and distribution is concerning. In many scenarios, the individual who fails to spot a forged ID takes on the same amount, if not more, liability than the person in possession of the forged document. That being said, it is absolutely vital that businesses needing to regularly verify the identification of their patrons or employees use the I.D. Checking Guide.
What the I.D. Checking Guide Includes:
- A full page or more for each U.S. state and Canadian province identity card sample, showing driver’s licenses and ID cards, plus U.S. and Canadian territories.
- Guidelines on standard Oregon driver's license terms, term length, etc.
- An explanation of where rainbow printing, ghost images, and UV light elements should be found on valid Oregon ID
- An explanation of what the proper alphanumeric sequencing of a Oregon ID or Driver's license should be (i.e how many letters, numbers, etc.)
- Online Daily Show To Adults Young Figures Likely Drink Less Mail Full details for past and current Oregon driver's licenses in circulation.
- "How to check driver’s licenses" techniques for training use.